nafex - [NAFEX] Problem: Pawpaw seedling germinate & curl

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Problem: Pawpaw seedling germinate & curl
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:01:00 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2011 9:38:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
qazingulaza@gmail.com writes:

> And a question for the pawpaw experts. Why do all of my pawpaw seedling
> germinate &curl under the ground quite a bit before going upright? Is
> there a method to planting the seeds so the trees shoot straight up?

Try planting with the eye up about 1/2 inch below the soil surface. That
way the cotyledon leaves can pull right out of the seed case. Also don't let
them dry out. When dry it is more difficult to separate from the seed case.
Keep in mind pawpaws often take 6 weeks before the seed loop appears above
ground, keep the ground moist.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Problem: Pawpaw seedling germinate & curl, Jwlehman, 05/26/2011