nafex - [NAFEX] Winter irrigation?

  • From: "Richard L. Wagner" <rewagner@centurytel.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Winter irrigation?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:25:39 -0400

Last year I planted 50-plus assorted fruits tree (pear, plums,
apples, persimmons, peaches, cherries). All leaved out and looked okay.
THis spring about half did not leaf out and are dead though a dozen or
so are breaking from below the graft. It did not get that cold here.
Lowest temp was about +5F and even that was not on consecutive days.

Last winter was very dry. I never thought about needing to irrigate
dormant trees in the winter but is it possible that a lack of winter
moisture explains so many dead trees?

Richard Wagner
Thayer, MO USDA 6B+

  • [NAFEX] Winter irrigation?, Richard L. Wagner, 04/30/2011