nafex - [NAFEX] 111 not productive?

  • From: Martha Davis <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 111 not productive?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:40:09 -0600

> I believe the idea that more vigorous rootstocks are less productive once
> they have matured is flat-out mistaken. The Japanese still primarily use a
> rootstock similar in vigor to 111 and their orchards produce as well as the
> best managed European orchards on dwarfing rootstock. They not only get
> great production per acre but also produce some of the largest and best
> quality apples in the world.
>
> The trees in these orchards are trained as open centers- converted from
> central leader after 8 or 9 years with usually 2 branches off the trunk
> splitting into 2 more and all fruiting wood comes off this. They are
> trained so all the fruiting wood gets full light exposure.
>
> I don't have the information on the amount of labor these trees take to
> manage but I suspect considerably more than orchards on dwarfing rootstock.
> That's exactly what I like about vigorous rootstocks- more work for me.
> And
> a legacy for our children that they can climb in.

If the thinning and picking is anything like what the Japanese do with Asian
Pear the labor is pretty extensive. The orchards were completely netted
sides and top like a berry cage but for the whole field. They had a video
of the picking process. First the ladder was placed. Then a person climbed
the ladder, picked the pear, climbed down, put the pear in a Styrofoam
cocoon and placed that in a box, then moved the ladder and repeated the
process. Note only one pear per ladder position.

There had to be a lot of thinning to do that.

Martha