nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chinkapin/Chinquapin - Castanea pumila.

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chinkapin/Chinquapin - Castanea pumila.
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:00:50 -0400

My grandaddy worked in the log-woods of NC, so I know them as being his
"favorite" nut.
He would tie a rag or something on one, when he found nuts on it, if it were
small enough, and go back later to dig it up and transpant it.
I remember them as all being large shrubs. None had a single trunk.
yep, they are small- but they are dense and SWEET. they make a mess with the
prickly burrs- but squirrels LOVE them.
Grandaddy said he peeled them with his pocketknife, when he could find them.
perhaps they would be a better bet for the outskirts of the yard.
Amy
NC