nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple variety recommendations

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple variety recommendations
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 12:48:48 -0500

Jerry,
My top recommendation is MonArk, a U.of Arkansas release. Good disease
resistance. Large red-over-green apple with firm, crisp, white tart flesh,
ripens here (just north of the TN/KY line) in mid-July. Great for fresh
eating, good for cooking, dries well - and unlike most other early season
apples, MonArk will keep well under refrigeration for 6-8 weeks without
going mealy.
In a commercial setting, it would require a 'stop-drop' application, but in
a home orchard, even those first fruits that drop early without having
colored up well are tasty and useful.

With the looming threat of the brown marmorated stink bug, early season
apples may be our best bet, as they may be able to fruit before being
heavily damaged by the numbers of BMSBs that build up over the course of the
growing season.

I like Centennial and Kerr crabs, too - Centennial is primo; Kerr is a
little smaller and more tart

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY