nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hello, been away a looong time..

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hello, been away a looong time..
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:33:28 -0500

Amelia, I deduce that you are in the coastal plain of North Carolina. This might make a considerable difference to the advice you might receive and the ability of members to give it.

For apples, you might want to have a look at Lee Calhoun's book "Old Southern Apples." It should tell you something about cultivars adapted to your area and conditions. I expect that several southern libraries have the first edition (1995) and if you have a good inter-library loan system locally, there should be no problem getting it.

Also, you might want to consult and use nurseries specializing in apples for home growers in southern states.

Have a look at Big Horse Creek Farm in the western hills of your state:
<http://www.bighorsecreekfarm.com>
<http://davesgarden.com/products//gwd/c/1888/>
They sell custom grafted trees and scionwood of apples. I would guess they have customers in, knowledge of, and feedback from the coastal plain.

Also, Lawson's Nursery
http://lawsonsnursery.com
<http://davesgarden.com/products//gwd/c/1317/>

While they have't updated their website recently, the fact that it is still up suggests that they are still in business.

I expect there are a number of other nurseries listed at
http://www.nafex.org which would be useful to you.

I tend to be wary of the mass-marketers.

If you follow the instructions at the bottom of each post you can go to listinfo and find out how to access the list archives which I am sure you will find helpful.

The information and nurseries listed on the North American Nut Growers Association website at
http://www.nutgrowing.org

could be helpful. See especially

<http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/GrowingInformation1.htm>

I notice that the pawpaws bred by Neal Peterson seem to be well thought of:

http://www.petersonpawpaws.com

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada