nafex - [NAFEX] Wild Cherry Pie

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wild Cherry Pie
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:29:20 -0600

Betsy Hilborn asked, "I see Prunus serotina more commonlyhere. Are these 'black cherries' superior for any type food use?"

Here at Brambleberry Fruit Farm, we make a syrup and a jelly from Prunus serotina, aka Wild Black Cherry. We are planning to make no-sugar confections with it in the near future.

All(?) Chokecherry harvesters, who I have encountered, believe Prunus Sertona to be another type of chokecherry, and so throw it all in the same bucket. They don't know what they are missing because Wild Black Cherry has a flavor all its own that some might find superior to that of chokecherry.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Wild Cherry Pie, Jim Fruth, 01/04/2011