nafex - [NAFEX] Honeyberry (Lonicera caerulea spp. edulis) - opinions...

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeyberry (Lonicera caerulea spp. edulis) - opinions...
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 03:01:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I grow 3 cultivars of honeyberry (sometimes called 'Haskap', after one of the forms) - Lonicera caerulea spp. edulis.  To me, the tastes a bit like an under-ripe huckleberry or blueberry: sour, not that sweet, a little bit bitter.  I only had a few berries in total and may not have waited until sufficiently ripe; yet I did pick and eat them when they were blue and not hard, so I'm assuming they were ripe.

I see, from my limited experience - first crop this year, no benefit to these over a huckleberry, blueberry, etc.

Do you think that these would hybridize with Lonicera dioca, a northeastern native honeysuckle that is said to be partially or fully edible, depending on the source; some sources advice caution on L. dioca.

Maybe they make uniquely flavored pies, therefore justifying their inclusion into a diverse permaculture collection, in addition to the two aforementioned Heath family members?

Thanks,
Steve
New Jersey; USDA zone 6b/7a

  • [NAFEX] Honeyberry (Lonicera caerulea spp. edulis) - opinions..., Steven Covacci, 01/04/2011