nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against dee r? - instead of hawthorn, this post.

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against dee r? - instead of hawthorn, this post.
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 04:36:45 GMT

Hi,
From what I've seen, Am. plum might be a better bet than haws, although you might be amazed at what the deer can sneak through.  If they are in the habit of moving through before the hedge grows, they are likely to 'prune' just enough to maintain a trail.
Muffy
Wisconsin

---------- Original Message ----------

Hi,

Firstly, thank you very much for each of the replies on hawthorn as a hedgerow against deer.  I just had a thought: what about American plum?!  A single planting can result in a dense, suckering clump with thorns.  I'm not looking for formal, aesthetics, etc.

I've seen photos of American plum growing into a monoculture of its clonal rootsuckers and, unlike the hawthorn issue, I don't have to worry with P. americana about space underneath the crown - there is no space because it forms a mess of a bush with the height of a shrub-tree - looks as dense as Rosa multiflora (exotic invasive).

Plus, from what I understand so far, it is not symptomatic of x-knot disease, typically.

What do you think?

Steve

Browse the web faster. Download Chrome
Browse the web as fast as you think. Give Google Chrome a try
google.com

  • Re: [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against dee r? - instead of hawthorn, this post., Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett, 12/31/2010