nafex - [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against deer? - instead of hawthorn, this post.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against deer? - instead of hawthorn, this post.
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 01:36:59 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Firstly, thank you very much for each of the replies on hawthorn as a hedgerow against deer.  I just had a thought: what about American plum?!  A single planting can result in a dense, suckering clump with thorns.  I'm not looking for formal, aesthetics, etc.

I've seen photos of American plum growing into a monoculture of its clonal rootsuckers and, unlike the hawthorn issue, I don't have to worry with P. americana about space underneath the crown - there is no space because it forms a mess of a bush with the height of a shrub-tree - looks as dense as Rosa multiflora (exotic invasive).

Plus, from what I understand so far, it is not symptomatic of x-knot disease, typically.

What do you think?

Steve

  • [NAFEX] American plum (Prunus americana) as a hedgerow against deer? - instead of hawthorn, this post., Steven Covacci, 12/31/2010