nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fruit wine dilemma

  • From: Robert Capshew <rcapshew@insightbb.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fruit wine dilemma
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 17:10:00 -0500

Never had trouble making raspberry wine from frozen
berries.  Just put the berries in a nylon bag, add ~2#
sugar per gallon, water, yeast and usual wine chemicals.

Cranberry wine is difficult to ferment due to the oxalic acid
which inhibits the yeast.  You should make a yeast starter from
apple or orange juice with wine yeast then add cranberries
slowly until the yeast is tolerant of the cranberries before adding
to the whole batch.  Would not recommend grinding the
cranberries.

I would skip the apple juice for both wines.  Perhaps that is
contributing off smells.