nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Q about metal trellises and why they don't burn plants in the searing summer heat

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Q about metal trellises and why they don't burn plants in the searing summer heat
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:11:23 -0500

I've had damage to tender new grape shoots from cold metal trellis in the early spring.

-- Ginda

On Dec 7, 2010 8:53 AM, Mark Angermayer <hangermayer@isp.com> wrote:

I've also wondered why the plants don't get burned, but they don't.

My semi erect blackberries are on a metal trellis made out of shiny galvanized pipe (the kind used for chain link) and wire.  The top lateral support is also made out of a continuous galvanized pipe.  On hot sunny summer days, it gets so hot, I think it might blister your skin if you touched it long enough.  I tie the canes to the top pipe just as I do to the wires with no detrimental effect to the canes.

I've also grown a grapevine on the top of a chain link fence.  Mind you, it's not the best trellis in the world, but I saw no adverse effects from training the grapes to the top pipe.

Mark
KS