nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Drier climate predicted for most of U.S. and Canada

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Drier climate predicted for most of U.S. and Canada
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:55:11 -0500

If you remember, the map in the article referred to the period 2060 to 2069, also that it showed SE Ohio as a less severely affected area. Within climate trends there are cycles, sometimes of about 30 years or so. As a Canadian I'm acquainted with the history of the Palliser Triangle on the Canadian prairies, and the controversy about whether it's really suitable for cultivation, the state of the controversy depending on whetehr we're in a wet or a dry spell. As someone interested in Russian history, I'm somewhat acquainted with the cycles of drought and famine versus rain and plenty, in especially the black-earth (ex-prairie) areas of Russia. Then, within cycles there is weather.

I notice too that among climate scientists the consensus of opinion about future soil moisture tends to vary from time to time. I remember some pessimistic opinions around 1988, then reduced pessimism, now a restoration of pessimism.

I understand that it is considered unwise in Arizona and New Mexico to camp in gullies and river bottoms no matter how dry they look. I've also read sad tales of confident foreign engineers who have built bridges across the narrow, shallow and generally inoffensive-looking Helmand River in Afghanistan in the dry season.

Climate has varied a lot in the past, and I expect it will vary a lot in the future, expecially with humans adding extra variables to an already complex system.

I wouldn't read too much into your mud this fall.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada