nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dangerous things that grow outside

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dangerous things that grow outside
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:12:30 -0600

When we had a big garden in town my husband was extremely amused that I'd show people around and hand them things to taste. He said they would look helpless, standing there holding something they didn't dare put in their mouth without some ritual cleansing, and I'd be saying, it's ok, it's not sprayed, you can eat it. But they couldn't. When you live in the country you have different ideas about what's ok. I tend to be creeped out by people dirt, like dirt in town and on roads. Out in the country I don't worry much about it. A little bird poop, rub it off. Once a friend was sitting in our yard with a baby in his lap, just the right age to put everything in his mouth and the kid was reached out toward some goat droppings... my husband plucked a plantain leaf and handed it to the kid to chew instead, and the dad looked very surprised. Just because it's some kind of weed growing on the ground doesn't mean it's not edible.
If you have kept up with the Rawsome Foods raid and the little family dairy in MO that's been under attack by the FDA, you might be interested in what someone said about the FDA agents involved. They said that they acted as if they'd never been on a farm before, like everything was completely new to them. Maybe they should have just passed on their "findings" to the dairy inspector in MO and let the people who know about farms handle it. Because this farm has been going over 30 years and has never had a customer get sick from their products. Donna