nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild North American Prunus spp. - plums & cherries; repli

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild North American Prunus spp. - plums & cherries; repli
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:33:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Thank you, as always, for the replies.

*Matt: Thanks, then I won't expect much when my P. nigra cv. 'Bounty' fruits and, from your description, I will see about finding local populations of P. americana to try - I've never tried any and I've heard mixed reviews; I have two P. americana saplings.  And, more so: if you say that the American plums that you've tried were better then the beach plums, then they must be good.  I had a feeling that they'd be low in sugar content, acidic, and as such, sour.

*Ginda: I didn't ask about the P. serotina because that is the only wild Prunus, other then P. maritima, that I am familiar with.

*Jerry: I find that low-branched, often young, black cherry trees exposed to full-sun bare heavily. I've found some which are, naturally, better flavored and larger then others and I'm always looking forward to the day that I find an exceptional tree - when I do, I'll make a selection of it and begin breeding.  Fortunately, they are precocious in fruiting and a quick growing tree, unlike American persimmon (btw, I found a recently cleared site which will remain open this fall which hosts perhaps 300 persimmon saplings, perhaps all are around 3' to 6' tall and none have produced fruit yet.  I can't wait until they all do - I'll have 300 trees from which I may have a chance of finding a good one).

*Bill: That sounds right: Prunus serotina (wild black cherry); the bark is black, to a degree.
*Michael: I have no doubt that the jam from black cherry would be excellent; I'd mix mine with juneberries/serviceberries and other fruit.
*Claude: I find your description of P. pensylvanica very interesting - I was afraid of that... A lot of sources say it's a small shrub-tree but I didn't think so.  As for being too high to pick, as with P. serotina,
I bet if it were grown in full-sun, like a persimmon tree, it would sport branches baring fruit low-enough to pick; maybe it would stay less then 25' in full-sun?
Steve

  • Re: [NAFEX] Wild North American Prunus spp. - plums & cherries; repli, Steven Covacci, 11/27/2010