nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Queen Cox

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Queen Cox
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 13:58:37 -0500

Rubinette and Kidds Orange Red are two Cox children which are better with the heat.  I have gotten very flavorful Rubinettes in my climate, but its a bit lacking in sours for my personal taste.  Kidds Orange Red is an excellent apple, not the most productive for me but always great-tasting.  My all-time favorite Cox child (and favorite apple overall) is Freyburg, but it doesn't taste so much like Cox, its more like Yellow Delicious, its other parent.  I have heard some good comments about Holstein in the heat as well.

The Trees of Antiquity folks were claiming that Queen Cox could take the heat; my tree is in a bad location and has given me only a couple apples but they were completely lacking in flavor.

Scott z7 MD