nafex - [NAFEX] Dried kaki

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dried kaki
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:24:48 -0500

I received a request off list to post my technique for drying kaki.

Caveats- this is the first year I have done this, I enjoyed the results, others may prefer crispier or softer product.

I used an old Waring electric food dehydrator- model 11DF10.

I sliced the decapped, washed, unskinned kaki into consistent 1/2" slices.  I placed them on the dehydrator sheets that had been sprayed with a unflavored non-stick cooking spay. When the sheet was assembled, I sprayed the top of the product with non-stick spray.

I dried them for about 20 hours - I like a crisp product.

I store the dried slices in clean glass jars.

Simple and delicious!

Betsy Hilborn

7a NC