nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Goji Berries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Goji Berries
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:06:48 -0700 (PDT)

Apparently you received dried berries.

Goji is a vining bush with thorns.  It survives here in zone 5 without problems and could potentially be invasive here.  It spreads, fo me, stem tips rooting or sending out woody stems along the ground that root where it touches.  It is not very hard for me to control, but in a wild area, would likely spread without difficulty.

Fruit production for me is very sparse and not worth the space that the plant occupies.  I do not know if I have a poor variety or if there is an issue with pollinators locally.  Fruit turns red long before it is truly ripe.  Birds don't bother them here, as least not noticeably.

Fully ripe fruit is sweet and mild.  Drying intensifies flavor.  I removed my plants this spring, but they all came back from root pieces.  I will do more removal next spring.  A chinese correspondent reported that they fruit better in pots, root bound and severely pruned.  I am in the process fo testing that.

I think you are better off buying the dried fruits than growing your own.

John