nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bugs-don't hug apples

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bugs-don't hug apples
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:47:52 +0000

Hey Alan,

I went through some files and found a few more varieties of apples that are
considered as having some insect resistance, if only because their skin is so
tough.

Co-op 17 (one of the parents of Goldrush)
Douglas Wormless
Arkansas Black
Black Oxford
Redfield
Rockingham Red
Black Twig

PRI's Co-op 17 and maybe, the Douglas Wormless, would in all likelihood would
be more reliably insect resistant. The others are mentioned as showing some
insect resistance but of course, there is no data to substantiate these
claims (that I have seen).

Quite a few varieties of apples can be found by just surfing the net but if
you want to save yourself some surfing these two would be the best
collections to check:

1. Nick Botner, Spearheart Orchards (pdf file of his extensive catalog can be
found online)

http://www.slant.com/orchard/Botner%202009%20List.PDF

2. The USDA ARS/GRIN -

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/splist.pl?7215