nafex - [NAFEX] William's Pride etc.

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] William's Pride etc.
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:41:09 -0500

>I saw Williams Pride apples for sale at the Olympia WA farmer's mkt, picked from Burnt >Ridge Nursery's stock orchard I assume.  They were smallish, a long Red Delicious shape, >red.  I bought 2, one that looked a bit underripe and the other quite dark.  Both were crisp >and very boring.  I think I'll regraft that tree to something else."

I agree with the others, not William's Pride, but even if they were I'd never judge an apple by 2 samples from a farmers market.  Can't imagine anyone liking Liberty and not William's Pride.  They're similar but WP has more of the Macoun crunch.  Of course WP is also much earlier.

>That means scab will grow fine early and late in the season, but not in the middle.

Not really.  Scab is a spring thing and shows up every spring here- just worse when it's wet.  Here, in my experience, it doesn't get much worse after June regardless of weather except apples with lesions will crack as they grow.  Cool fall or late summer weather never brings scab or CAR.

Speaking of Winesap, I identified a very old one on a property where the apples are never sprayed and the owner always gets a somewhat useful crop.  I guess I can add it to the list of potential northeast sprayless apples.   Most of the apples had plenty of curc bumps but were still usable and the owner says it was a typical crop except with larger apples (I'd pruned it).

It seems later apples and especially hard late ones are more bug resistant.  This includes Goldrush, Fuji and oddly, old style Yellow Delicious (the ones that ripen later and have some russet).  I bet Arkansas Black would work also.

  • [NAFEX] William's Pride etc., Alan Haigh, 10/27/2010