nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PRI apples

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PRI apples
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 02:03:52 +0000

Donna,

Just after writing my last, I remembered seeing several times that a rootstock can impart some if its disease resistance to scionwood. With that in mind, are you working with any Geneva series? I have Gen 30 in my yard and plan to graft some things to them this spring. I bud grafted Ashmead's Kernel to three of them last August and all three took fine. (Ate one of the Ashmead apples, on EMLA26, to finish dinner - yum.)

This was a weird season in E. WA, too, altho Liberty came out pretty well - looked like scab at the apex of a few apples, which isn't supposed to be possible. Ashmead were little but mostly prettier than most pix I've seen of 'em. Queen Cox good size and poor flavor. I'm replacing that.

I once lived just south of Tacoma for ten years. Lots of King and Gravenstein growing untended and doing fine, as I remember.

Dave