nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Safest Systemic Killer for Stump?

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Safest Systemic Killer for Stump?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:47:35 -0400

The reason for the difference in time of seeing the 'brownout' is due
to the 'inert' ingredients. I'm not sure what they add, but a type of
acid - trade name Scythe - is often added to glyphosate to get that
brownout effect. The browning early, in my opinion, does not really
affect the final kill. The glyphosate can take up to 2 weeks to go
completely systemic and kill the plant entirely, regardless of
browning.

In regards to Hector's comment about distorted leaves, i too have seen
residual effects on non-target woody plants up to 12 months after
application. Not sure how it gets there, and what's causing it, but I
wouldn't spray near stuff you care about.

-matt