nafex - [NAFEX] Washington Event: America's Unique Apple Diversity: A Roundtable Discussion, Sept 17, 1:30pm, National Agricultural Library

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Washington Event: America's Unique Apple Diversity: A Roundtable Discussion, Sept 17, 1:30pm, National Agricultural Library
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 12:18:15 -0400

For your information.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

*****

Celebrating America's Unique Apple Diversity: A Roundtable Discussion
Featuring Some of America's Leading Apple Experts

Learn about and celebrate the apple's deep roots in American
agricultural history at a roundtable discussion hosted by the National
Agricultural Library Friday, September 17, 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Join five of this country's most talented and committed apple growers to
hear their perspectives on America's fading apple diversity and what
steps we can take to preserve it.

Dr. Gary Nabhan, noted writer, lecturer, and food and farming advocate,
will lay the foundation for an afternoon's exploration of the current
state of and future prospects for our dwindling apple varieties.

Then our panel of apple experts will apply their collective 200 years of
orchard experience to a discussion of apples, touching upon their
horticultural, culinary and historic significance and exploring how to
restore apple diversity from the orchard to the kitchen.

Those apple elite, representing the range of America's apple growers,
will include:

* Nick Botner, Oregon
* Tom Burford, Virginia
* John Bunker, Maine
* Dan Bussey, Wisconsin
* Lee Calhoun, North Carolina

Join us as we mark 2010 as the Year of the Heirloom Apple.

Light refreshments will be served.

when:

Friday, September 17, 2010, 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

where:

National Agricultural Library

Main Reading Room
10301 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville, MD 20705

Directions
<http://riley.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=8&tax_level
=2&tax_subject=156&topic_id=1971>

questions:
NAL Special Collections | 301-504-5876

Co-sponsored by USDA, National Agricultural Library
<http://www.nal.usda.gov/> and RAFT: Renewing America's Food Traditions
<http://www.environment.nau.edu/raft/> .

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would
still plant my apple tree."

- Martin Luther

http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
http://www.sare.org/about/sanetFAQ.htm.
http://www.sare.org.

  • [NAFEX] Washington Event: America's Unique Apple Diversity: A Roundtable Discussion, Sept 17, 1:30pm, National Agricultural Library, Douglas Woodard, 09/03/2010