nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Acai / Aronia

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Acai / Aronia
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:11:29 -0500

Ginda,  Are you a "supertaster"?  You can supposedly find out for sure by counting taste buds on your tongue, I'm sure you can find the info online.  It might be worth your while to know, for recipe purposes but also to use to explain yourself to those who eat with you.  If you aren't, well at least you'll understand those who are.  (Mind you, a mere zinc deficiency will create picky eaters)  In general supertasters can't stand bitter flavors, and I suspect that astringency might be in that category.  I'm quite sure I'm not a supertaster, but I don't think I'd like "sickly sweet" aftertastes.  Maybe someone needs to combine the two.  Astringency is needed to give a kind of clean palate sensation.  We found out years ago that wine made from peaches alone didn't taste right.  The books say you need a certain amount of acid in wine to make it feel right.  We could put in tannin (bitter and astringent) or hang 2-3 teabags in each gallon of wine.   Donna