nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Robins

  • From: "Richard Wagner" <rewagner@centurytel.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Robins
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:02:18 -0500

It Europe songbirds (ortolan, etc.) have long been considered delicacies but that too is changing as many European countries are banning the practice. What was acceptable when human populations were small is no longer sustainable at today's population levels.

When we moved here  five years ago we were over run with squirrels and chipmunks. They were always raiding our garden but we did not have any fruit trees yet. That ended about two years ago when we got two small dogs. Our cocker loves squirrels. Yum, Yum!. I was surprised that he was quick enough to catch them but he does. We also has a Jack Russel for a while before we had to dispose of him as the two dogs, especially the JR became increasingly incompatible. Now I almost never see squirrels/chipmunks within 100 yards of the house. The dogs not only solved the squirrel problem they have driven off the opossums, raccoons, marmots that formerly raided our garden all while becoming affectionate additions to the household.