nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear Thief bait

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear Thief bait
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:51:11 -0400

I'll try it. But doesn't it have to be protected from moisture?

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
Landscaping with Fruit

On Aug 25, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Richard Moyer wrote:

Lee and Caren,
We had a large peach tree and a well-mulched blueberry planting
outside our bedroom window, but the road lay just beyond so shooting
was ill-advised.  Squirrels stole green peaches and ran with them on
the power line.  They also would chew off entire branches of blueberry
bushes to get to the fruit on the ends.  Re: live traps, have caught
cats, rats, box turtles, possums, racoons, etc with peanut butter but
very few squirrels.  So we went to mixing one part peanut butter with
about 2 parts dry plaster of paris, and smearing gobs of this on tree
trunks the squirrels frequented.  Add more as this disappears.  Not a
pleasant outcome for the squirrels, but we did get peaches and more
blueberries.  Knocked the squirrel population way back for over a
year. Demise due to relocation could be even more traumatic.

First time I caught a snapping turtle and asked the locals how to cook
it, they said "fry it up just like squirrel", as though everyone did
that!
Richard Moyer
Finally cool in SW VA, smells of pear butter in the crock pot and
tomato sauce simmering on the stove.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----