nafex - [NAFEX] Neglect Trees

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Neglect Trees
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:31:14 -0500

I came across this snippet in the Aug. issue of The Avant Gardener.

"Pampering plants can be bad for their health: in tests at Pennsylvania State University, apple trees stressed by withholding water and fertilizer had less fireblight, and in general showed increased resistance to diseases."

I'm seeing this in my mini orchard, as I haven't done anything to it since Feb. due to knee surgery and a broken shoulder. The apples and Asian pears are smaller than normal, because I didn't thin. All are fireblight and disease-free. Coddling moths, however, did a lot of damage to the apples. The Asian pears look to be damage-free.

I picked two large baskets of Concord grapes yesterday from just one vine. I've never had big a large crop, and the individual grapes were larger than in previous years.

Yup! I've been working too hard.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border (Zone 4b)