nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT - Pot leeks and some of the fruit and veg on display at Gateshead Summer Flower Show, UK

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT - Pot leeks and some of the fruit and veg on display at Gateshead Summer Flower Show, UK
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:52:58 -0500

Thanks so much, Clifford, for posting the photos and letting us know where we
might see them. Few of us in the United States have seen such splendid
gooseberry specimens because many of those cultivars are susceptible to
American gooseberry mildew. However, European-bred redcurrants do well here.
In fact, one of my favorites (for high yield and long strigs) is the English
cultivar Redstart. Many of us also appreciate the special flavor of the
Dutch cultivar Jonkheer van Tets. There is also a growing appreciation of
blackcurrants, particularly in the parts of the USA that do not have such
terribly hot summers. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.