nafex - Re: [NAFEX] anarchist vineyard management 101

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] anarchist vineyard management 101
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:09:14 -0400

It might also be that the rampant growth signifies areas of the best
soil, highest nutrients, lack of hardpan, or something else that is
benefiting both the grapes and the weeds.

For what it's worth, I have 'lost' several newly planted grapevines in
annual weeds, quackgrass, and smooth brome, and even after not being
able to find the *#&! things for 2 years in a row, up they come like
champions, growing to the top wire in the 3rd year. They must just be
in there somewhere, working on their root growth. Never killed a grape
seedling yet.

-matt demmon
z5 se MI