nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Harvesting black currants

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Harvesting black currants
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:09:48 -0500

Howdy all,

My Titania black currant looked mostly ripe so I harvested today. The plant was spreading widely so I cut the fruiting branches at ground level and figured that the new stems coming along will be the better for it.

Here are my questions:

Can/should I leave the fruit on the stem for a few days so all the fruit ripens? Or do I need to strip the currants off the stem? I plan to make preserves from it. I thought that dehydrating the fruit a bit might concentrate flavour?

I know that you want immature fruit in the mix for most jellies but currants are very rich in pectin anyway. Will including the immature fruit decrease the quality of the finished product?

Thanks

Steve Herje, Lone Rock WI USDA zone 3/4