nafex - Re: [NAFEX] source of Bramley's apples in Ontario?

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] source of Bramley's apples in Ontario?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:20:26 -0300

I take it he wants grafted trees, and is not looking to graft his own. I can
readily supply him
with budwood this summer, or scion wood next spring. I have multiple trees
of Bramley's
because I think it is the absolute pinnacle of cooking apples. (Eric [at
Siloam] reproduces all
his trees by summer budding, actually later in the summer, so could bud
Bramley's this
summer for delivery next fall.)

On another topic, not a peep from the Minister of Ag., but Keith Thompson, a
retired lawyer in
Ottawa lodged a freedom of information request which has unexpectedly yielded
all sorts of
information, including the survey done of Harrow which Richards was quoting
in support of
his position. There was in fact mention of supplying propagating material to
the amateur
community in this document, but what was actually said was 1) they had been
assured by the
staff at Harrow that the workload imposed was entirely manageable, and not a
burden 2) the
involvemement of the amateur community was to be encouraged, quoting Seed
Savers as a
model, and 3) researchers and breeders should be given priority, but as long
as the workload
was not excessive, the amateur community should be served and encouraged.