nafex - Re: [NAFEX] making a gift for a friend (fruits for Kentucky)

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] making a gift for a friend (fruits for Kentucky)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:53:50 -0400

Interesting observations about Korean Giant.   I had one in a previous small orchard - central NC near Chapel Hill.   Got it from Bear Creek many years ago.  It grew well, flowered and set fruit well.  Fruit were large, crisp, juicy and sweet.   All around excellent.   I had few if any disease problems.   Even the ubiquitous Japanese beetles left them alone - unlike the apples, plums, cherries, medlars, peaches and European pears I grew.  We have hot and humid summers here with winters that often have exceptionally warm spells.  Tree always performed well.  I don't know what stock it was grafted on and I have been gone from there for 20 years.   Still in NC, but a different area.   Chris