nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Evaluating Loquat cultivars

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Evaluating Loquat cultivars
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:13:21 -0500

Speaking of loquats I've been growing them in containers for years, have one that's probably 10 years old & has never made any attempt to flower. They make a nice indoor plant but maybe it's time to seek out a grafted variety or two that'll put some fruit on. My seeds were collected from Olbrich Gardens in Madison, where they have a 25 ft tall plant that's been there for years, with copious amounts of fruit seemingly year round. The fruit is kinda insipid on the tree but one can't be chosy this far north. My thinking was the seeds might be acclimated to WI's seasons & light.

~mIEKAL

& of all the indoor plants my parrots like to destroy, loquats are on the top of their list.