nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wagner's Old Montmorency

  • From: "Richard Wagner" <rewagner@centurytel.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wagner's Old Montmorency
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:26:42 -0500

I am the one. None of them grew.

I planted some nursery origin plums this spring. Some are Japanese or Japanese x Myrobalan.  Perhaps I can try again next year. That way I could try grafting/budding on several different trees. It I ever get one to take I could use it as reservoir for future experiments.

I also have one unidentified plum I brought from California. We don't have any idea what it is but my wife and I and all the friends and relatives that have been able to sample the so far scarce fruit agree that it is the best flavored plum they have ever tasted. The plum itself is rather small but size never stopped me from eating cherries, grapes or berries. I wondered if it might have arisen from a Myrolan understock. There were lots of plums grown in that area. When I was young I worked at one four local dehydrators. I never saw or tasted anything exactly like this one at work. There were also a few small orchards that grew mostly Japanese type desert plums but nothing like this.