nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carmine jewel seeds

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carmine jewel seeds
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:49:23 -0400

Hi Scott! I'm near Whitmore Lake, or more specifically, 6 miles north
of Ann Arbor in Northfield Township.

Well, so far, the cherry seedlings are only about 4 inches high. I
just germinated them this spring, so I don't know what they're going
to turn out like. I am interested in the amount of variation in the
leaf shape so far, which is high, from rounded to longer with a
distinct point, and teeth from finer and sharper to coarser and more
rounded.

I got the seeds from Sarah Ewing, on the list. Thanks Sarah! And for
the honeyberry seeds as well.

Thanks Melissa for the correction, my bad on the interspecific mistake
due to typing faster than I can think.

As for what I hope to get out of them, I would think I will get
something similar to the parents. My understanding is that these have
been bred for a few generations, and while not exactly stable, I would
at least expect to get decently sized and tasting fruit on a more or
less small tree/bush, with some variation in all the characters. I
hope I don't get a big tree with awful tasting fruit.

Hope to report more in future years!