nafex - Re: [NAFEX] backpackk sprayers

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] backpackk sprayers
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 05:40:39 -0500

Hi Jerry,

I have about the same number of trees.  I use a Solo 3-gallon backpack sprayer.  Solo was recently bought out by another company whose name escapes me but Solo is still on the box.  I got mine from a wholesale nursery supply company.  I saw it at The Home Depot recently.  It is fairly heavy--I'm a big guy.  It's kind of a pain to hoist the thing onto your back.  My biggest problem is that you always have to suit up--the pack always gets wet from filling it--if you get a little poison dust on the pack you have to spray it off.  If you overflow or splatter a bit when filling you have to spray it off and again you're dripping wet.  I now generally use a three gallon hand sprayer that allows me to just use gloves--a lot of my sprays are non- or not very toxic and it's just more comfortable to use.  If your land is rough the backpack sprayer might be the way to go.  If not, get a large cannister type and buy a long extension for the nozzle--I hav e a 4 foot brass one that lets me aim the spray well.  Then carry the thing in your hand, set it down when you can, and spray away.

Steve H.