nafex - [NAFEX] serviceberry & Sierra Plum

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] serviceberry & Sierra Plum
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:34:21 -0700

Thanks to everyone for their replies! Especially to Dr Dr Pittman for
looking in your catalogs for information and to Jolyn who e-mailed me the
page for the 1994 catalog which does give the description of Klamath plum.

I thought my plum was the Klamath or Sierra plum but it does not sucker or
have thorns and has good tasting fruit.

My Timm & Success service berries fruited heavily in the second year when
they were about 6" tall. (I have very shallow soil--3"-18" in many places.
Also we have no rain for 5-7 months - N. CA-- and the water is rationed some
years here) These bushes, now over 20 years old, are 18-24" tall, about 3
feet wide and produce very heavily.

I bought "Success" a few years ago from the Oikos nursery and their listing
says "Success is 5 ft tall by 6' wide. It is now only about 3 feet tall.

This is my first day on the list-serve--it is so exciting to get information
I need!

Idell