nafex - [NAFEX] re plant patents and apple scions

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] re plant patents and apple scions
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:22:38 -0500

Hi Melissa,
U are right, there are no educational exemptions for plant patents. I asked
only because there are a few areas of educational exemptions that exist in
copyrights, etc. Plant breeders are a vastly underpaid and undervalued
group, and I am happy to support those few that remain in the field.
We discussed patents, trademarks, etc. in class yesterday.
If there is a nursery/licensed propagator that would be willing to sell us a
small amount of scionwood at a nominal charge I would be happy to buy it.
I was asking for donations since we otherwise have no funds from which to
draw. IN the case of donations, we will use non-patented cultivars only.
Michele