nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hawthorn as rootstock for Rosaceae

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hawthorn as rootstock for Rosaceae
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 21:44:30 -0500

Yes, quince is susceptible to fireblight. However growing pear on quince suppresses secondary blossom in the pear which is a major route of fireblight infection here in the Niagara Peninsula.

The reason for my inquiry is that I have noticed a few references to lower fruit quality in pear on hawthorn, including in the Pomona over the years, though I have no personal experience with it. But there are *many* different species of hawthorn.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

William McNam wrote:
Doug Woodard,
I have grafted pear and quince on hawthorn (Paul's Scarlet...C. oxycantha?)
The grafts produced normal-sized fruit .
The pear grafts have since expired ( scions were not certified virus-free ,or they may have succumbed to graft-incompatibility or decline.
The quince branch is still doing well.
There are wild/native hawthorn trees (I don't know the species) here wch are exceptionally drought tolerant.
So if water is difficult to come by,pear and apples might be successfully fruited on this rootstock with little or no irrigation.
Also Quince is very susceptible to* "fire blight" *if grown under irrigation wch promotes vigorous growth.
If you want to do an authentic test,use only virus-free grafting wood.