nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jan, Joy, Joel cherries

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jan, Joy, Joel cherries
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 15:21:35 -0700

I have grown all three, hoping to beat the odds of having the flowers killed by late frost (NM, 7000 ft.) I have occassionally gotten some fruit on the Joy and Jan. The Joel did not survive. However, this thread got me thinking that my Nankings fruit much more regularly, are larger plants and have bigger and tastier fruit, so I'm wondering now why bother with J/J/J. when I could have Nankings. Just throwing this out for thought.

Btw, vis a vis the recent discussion of Nanking, mine are quite tasty. Not sure where I got my oldest one. Two others are from Edible Landscaping. One was supposed to be white but turned out not to be. Its fruits are quite nice. They did send me a white one and it hasn't fruited yet. I'm perfectly happy with my little Nanking fruits. The birds don't seem to find them, as they are hidden inside the canopy.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

John S wrote:
I picked up two distressed/reduced Joels 3 years ago at a discount outlet. The second and third years, they fruited and are only about 18" high. They are very productive. Taste is similar to a Nanking or Korean Bush cherry. Joel is self fruitful.

Good productivity for the size, but need to be trained upward as growth has been primarily lateral at this point in time.

Recommended

John