nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Emergency grafting?

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Emergency grafting?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:01:54 GMT

Caren,

Too early to graft up there, but you definately could store last year's growth in  the fridge (wrap in damp towel, then plastic bag; put in the coldest part, because it keeps best at 32 or 33 degrees F) until things start warming up.  Whether it's a good idea to try to graft it to your other whip, that's a harder question to answer.   If you have even an inch or two of belle wood remaining above the graft, it could come back so that you wouldn't need to graft it; i's still young enough to be able to make adventitious shoots easily.  Do you have any larger apples--even flowering crabs--that you could graft to?  One branch on something else might be a better place to 'hold' the variety until you know if your original is going to recover... a larger tree will also have more places for you to attempt the graft, since first tries aren't always successful.  Good luck with it.

Muffy Barrett
South Central Wisc.
39 degrees today!  Feels like spring!