nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Flamin' Fury Peaches

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Flamin' Fury Peaches
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:09:08 -0500

Hi Mark! I'm near you, just north of Ann Arbor. Unfortunately, I don't
have any grower experience with the Flamin' Fury peaches. I have
purchased them to eat however, and so far they're all delicious. Over
here on the east side of the state, it gets a little colder in the
winter, and we have less snow, so some peaches that grow over there in
southwest michigan might not work as well here. many commercial
orchards in this area had up to 50% mortality on their peach trees
after last winter (08-09) with lows at my location of -22, and high
winds. However, if you're actually in the city of Ann Arbor, you've
got at least a zone extra, plus the buildings shelter trees from the
wind. Apricot trees downtown consistently crop while others don't. I
guess the heat island effect is much like the moderating effect of the
lake. PF24C is considered one of the hardiest of the FF peaches.

Don't know if that helps you.

-matt demmon
z5 se MI