nafex - [NAFEX] Drastic Pruning Question

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Drastic Pruning Question
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:04:41 -0800

I ordered a couple bareroot trees this season. They came trained such that the first branch starts about 4.5 feet up from the ground. I'd like to prune that off in the hopes of training a tree that branches out only a foot or so from the ground. I've never done that before, though. Anything I need to know or be careful about?  The trees are already coming out of dormancy so I don't know what effect that would have...

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b