nafex - [NAFEX] Lady Williams apple - water core?

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: Nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lady Williams apple - water core?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:36:54 -0500 (EST)

I just picked my Lady Williams apple crop, as the birds were starting to get
into them - a sure sign that they are about ripe. In fact the dozen I
processed today to make sauteed apple slices all had germinated seeds, some
with 1/4 inch long radicle roots. Three weeks ago the flesh was green-tinted
and very tart and I encountered no germinating seeds - today the flesh is
almost white and they are very pleasant to eat.
But my question is about some apples from the north side of the tree that
have a greenish-tinted watery core. The apple flesh outside the core seems
fine, but the skins are a little more shiny than on the rest of the tree. We
have had two nights with temperatures in the teens, with a few days in the
upper 60s, and recent storms have removed almost all the leaves. The apples
are particularly large this year.
Can temperature cause water core? I have read about drought causing water
core.
Thanks,

Jim Nottke
Zone 7
Pfafftown, North Carolina

  • [NAFEX] Lady Williams apple - water core?, nottke1, 12/21/2009