nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardening off

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardening off
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:08:07 -0500

Jim Fruth wrote:
Here is an article from OMAFRA that explains the process of hardening off:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/hort/news/orchnews/2009/on-1209a1.htm

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm

Quoted from that article:
"there are 3 stages in the acclimation process. The first actually started when shoot growth stopped in early summer, and the tree began to store carbohydrates in branches, roots and fruit buds. So even, at this point, trees can tolerate about -21°C"

So are they saying the temperatures in July or August could suddenly fall to about -5 F and the trees could survive that? That's pretty unbelievable.

I'm also curious, but not really worried, about how my trees will do considering that November was warm and actually sunny but then last week we went down to -25F one night.

Steve in the Adirondacks