nafex - [NAFEX] Rhubarb

  • From: Martha Davis <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rhubarb
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:35:04 -0700

I believe there is a Rhubarb Variety called champagne which you were suposed to ferment somehow to make champagne.  Perhaps this is your wine rhubarb.
Martha

Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?
When I bought my house from Old Lady Hackl 18 years ago she had (and I still have) a variety she called 'wine rhubarb'  It has very little vigor and I almost lost it because I didn't yet appreciate rhubarb and I let grass overwhelm it.  I also have a typical giant rhubarb that goes to seed, etc. About five years ago I transplanted the wine rhubarb to the garden and babied it.  It produces pretty well now on a plant that's about as wide across as a leaf of the big one.  In a rhubarb custard pie the wine rhubarb is spectacularly better tasting.  It's the difference between having a piece and eating the whole pie in a sitting.  It's one of those things that is so perfect that it could only get worse, so make the most of it.

I have no idea of the name or original source. Dorothy is a hundred and something and lives in town now.  I suppose I could get in touch with her to see if she knows more, but probably won't