nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gages that are real greengages?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gages that are real greengages?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:52:55 -0800

Prune D'Agen is probably the same as French prune, though there are a number of sports and selected strains.
I haven't had enough mirabelles to judge them.
If you want something that stands up to processing, try the bullaces (P. insititia). I have a white bullace supposed to be a favorite for preserves in England, and though I've never made any out of mine, I can see why. The acids, astringency and BIG flavor would hold up to processing well. The small plums are prolific and hang on in edible condition nearly to the end of October.
-Lon Rombough
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/