nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question for Lon - or anyone

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question for Lon - or anyone
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:14:08 -0800 (PST)

I'm sure Lon can answer this better, but just for the sake of hearing from different tastebuds: What do you mean by "tastes like a grape"? I think of this as tasting like grape candy, which is sort of like the 'Concord' grape fragrance. Wine snobs call it "foxiness" and sneer at it, but I like it. I was very impressed with the seedless variety 'Marquis' which has this flavor, so I planted it. I've heard that the seedless 'Mars' also has it, but I haven't tried it.

But there are other ways grapes can taste like grapes. I was amazed by 'Jupiter' which tastes sort of like orange blossoms smell. This is a "muscat" flavor, which Europeans treasure, but Americans generally have never heard of.

There are other flavors too. I've been wondering what else I should try.

Melissa