nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Little Leaf Linden ,Tilia Cordata

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Little Leaf Linden ,Tilia Cordata
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 05:29:15 -0600

Larry,

I have Tilia cordata 'Swedish Upright' here in SW WI--they are plants grafted from the Arnold Arboretum's plant which was wild collected in south central Sweden.  I have a dozen trees and the nearest wild Tilia americana would be at least a couple miles away and probably beyond bee range.  There may be a yard tree I don't know about somewhere closer but my nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away, the second, a half.  I expect them to be as pure as you'll find outside Europe.  I can look for seeds or send you scionwood if you like.  I don't get volunteer seedlings  (hooray) so I can't tell you if the tree is self fertile.  You'll have to research that on your own.  I've never tried planting them.  I find the scent of the tree somewhat disappointing compared to other littleleaf clones out there.  I planted them for scent and bee forage, but chose the 'Swedish Upright' to assure hardiness in my cold climate. So far they are.

Steve Herje
SW Wisconsin USA USDA zone 3-4