nafex - [NAFEX] Rooting currants

  • From: Dale Burkholder <dburk@planetcomm.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rooting currants
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 13:22:31 -0500

Lon & everybody else;
I found an old email on my computer with some advice about rooting currants. I am planning to start 100-200 Crandall currants for sale in the spring, and would like to know if I am interpreting these instructions (below) properly.

My idea is to wait another month until dormant, then cut 6" sections of new growth (or is last year's growth also okay?), place them 4-5 inches apart - about 2/3rds buried in the ground in an unheated greenhouse, add a few inches of mulch for insulation and wait until spring.
Or, Plan B, assuming the roots won't grow much anyway until spring, can I just cram them in a big ol' feed bag full of sand/soil mix with tops sticking out and leave outside in the snow and rain until March and then plant them in pots?

Dale Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley, VA   Zone 6
If I did learn to speak proper English, who would I speak it to?